The Regulations on the circulation of electric scooters and VMP (personal mobility vehicles) in Spain outline some generic lines that can be seen complemented by the different local regulations that govern each country. According to the General Directorate of Traffic in Spain (DGT), the specific general regulations:
Areas of use of the electric scooter:
- It is prohibited for the VMP to go on sidewalks, pedestrian areas, crossings, highways, interurban roads or tunnels in urban areas.
- The routes authorized to circulate will be indicated by the country ordinance. If there were not, circulation would be allowed on any urban road.
Characteristics of electric scooters:
- They must comply with the DGT Personal Mobility Vehicle Characteristics Manual.
- The speed of these vehicles must be between 6 and 25 km/h.
- Electric scooters cannot equip a seat or saddle.
- The minimum age in Spain to ride an electric scooter is 16 years, The minimum age may vary in each country.
- The circulation in a scooter only allows a single passenger per scooter. Circulating two or more people on a scooter is prohibited.
- You cannot wear headphones, or use the mobile phone or any other device while driving.
- The Traffic Law establishes the obligation for VMP drivers to wear a protective helmet, although it is working on this regulatory development jointly with the municipalities and the actors involved. It will depend on the municipal regulations of the town where it is circulated.
- The same maximum alcohol rates allowed by the Road Safety Law apply, as well as the prohibition of driving with the presence of drugs in the body.